Computation Centre Policy Statment
The Computation Centre, hereinafter referred to as CC, is one of the laboratories of the Department of Mathematics of the Faculty of Sciences and Technology of the University of Coimbra foreseen in article 7 of the Department of Mathematics Regulation.
- CC's facilities are composed by the following rooms and offices:
- Floor 0: servers room, printers room, rooms 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5 and office 0.4;
- Floor 00: rooms 0.01, 0.02 and 0.03;
- Floor 4: depository 4.1.
- It is attached to the CC, the equipment at the above facilities and the network infrastructure of the Department of Mathematics.
The CC aims at the maintenance and expansion of computer resources needed for teaching, research and management occurring in the Department of Mathematics, according to the resolutions adopted by the Department Council and the Scientific Committee, meeting him in particular:
- Ensure the smooth operation of computer resources attached to the CC, as regards the hardware and software; to update them by installing new systems available, according to the priorities set by the Computation Centre Commission; assure and manage the computer communications of the Department of Mathematics with the outside world; ensure mechanisms that protect the integrity of available software.
- Provide adjusted facilities and equipment for the operation of the subjects taught in the Department of Mathematics that need to use computer resources.
- Provide technical support to teachers and learners as well as services (Library, Academic Resources and Secretariat) in the installation and use of computer equipment, giving advice on methods and settings tailored to their needs.
- Provide technical support, within its availability, events of scientific nature (congresses, seminars, etc.) held on the Department of Mathematics.
- Keep the inventory of hardware attached to the CC updated as also the technical documentation archive.
- Control the access to rooms equipped with computer equipment specially intended for students.
- Organize and supervise the consultation of the technical documentation archive of computer equipment attached to the CC.
- Represent the Department of Mathematics at meetings related to computer resources and ensure the necessary links with the Informatics Centre of the University of Coimbra.
- Manage arrangements related to software licenses.
- Under article 7 of the Department of Mathematics Regulation, the CC is headed by a coordinator, who is a professor elected by the Scientific Committee and appointed by the Executive Board. Its mandate will last for two years.
[§] The position acceptance is not mandatory and there are no restrictions to reelections.
- The management of the CC is of the Computation Centre Commission responsibility, which is made up of three teachers of the Department of Mathematics and chaired by the coordinator of the CC. The remaining elements of this commission are appointed by the President of the Executive Board under proposal of the coordinator mentioned above.
[§] The Computation Centre Commission ceases functions when its chairman ceases functions.
- The resignation of the coordinator of the CC implies the resignation of the Computation Centre Commission. In case of resignation or impossibility of one of the other members of this Commission, the coordinator must propose his substitute.
It is of the Computation Centre Commission competence:
- Ensure the management of human resources and computer resources attached to the CC.
- Consider and decide on proposals for acquisition of new computer resources (hardware and software) as well as other equipment necessary to improve services, taking into account the priorities set by the Department Council and the Scientific Committee.
- Prepare an annual report about CC's activities.
- Decide about the usage rules of the CC.
- Elaborate the annual budget draft for the CC, to be presented to the President of the Department Council, as well as any other’s that may contribute to the smooth functioning of the CC.
- Propose to the Department Council, the placement or hiring of technical staff and give opinion on the placement of staff in CC.
- Authorize physical access to the CC to persons outside the Department of Mathematics.
- Issue the identification cards for students with CC user status.
- Submit to the Department Council amendments to this regulation.
- The access to the CC’s facilities is allowed:
- To teachers of the Department of Mathematics.
- To students with CC user status.
- To other persons duly authorized by the Computation Centre Commission.
- Are considered students with CC user status:
- Students attending the Masters in Mathematics.
- Students who attend the Undergraduate in Mathematics and Engineering Geographic, from the 3rd year.
- Other students who attend courses taught in the Department of Mathematics whose normal operation requires the use of computer equipment.
[§] It is of teachers and course Coordinators responsibility, to inform the Computation Centre Commission that they wish to make use of computer resources. Such information should be transmitted with an advance of 30 days to the start of the relevant academic semester.
- All students with CC user status must hold an identity card, issued by the Computation Centre Commission. This card must be presented to CC staff whenever requested.
- During lessons taught on the premises of the CC, the teacher is responsible to control the access of their students and ensure the proper use of the equipment they handled.
- Without prejudice to any restrictions established by the Computation Centre Commission, CC’s working hours coincide with the normal functioning of the Department of Mathematics.
The usage rules of computer resources attached to the CC will be posted at the beginning of each school year.
- The doubts raised by the interpretation or application of this regulation will be resolved by the Computation Centre Commission, after consultation of the Presidents of the Department Council and Scientific Committee.
- This regulation shall enter into force on the day following its adoption by the Department Council.