College and University Listing Frequently
The listing that I maintain has generated a lot of email and questions from
people, so in an attempt to address some of the questions I get asked most
often I've compiled the answers below. Please browse through these
questions and answers before sending a request to me directly. Thanks.
- Why is school X not on your list?
- This list is a list of homepages, and is maintained in my spare time.
As such, schools that are not on the Web will not be found on the list, and
schools that I have not run across or that someone has not informed me
about, will not be listed. Unless there are links to your site from other
sites, it makes it very difficult to find. A lot of people seem to be
offended when they find a school missing from the list. Please do not be
offended. It is not my intention that anyone be left off this listing, but I
can only add the schools I know about either through personal wandering or
because someone emailed me the URL.
- How does a school get added to the list?
- There are several ways for a school to be added. Most recently, I have
been relying on help from other people to let me know about new schools that
should be added. I also spend several hours each week looking for new
- Can you send me the URL for school X which is not on your list?
- If I have the URL for a school it will be included in the listing.
Otherwise, I will try to find schools that people want added, but if you do
not see it on the university listing within a couple of weeks then it may
not have a homepage, may not be on the net at all, or I could just not find
any information about the school in my searches. The number of requests I
receive daily that fall in this category are too high for me to reply
personally to each one.
- Can I get a list of the email addresses for all the schools on this
- No. I do not maintain a list of contact email
addresses for all the schools on this list, nor do I have any intention of
doing so. People want email addresses for various reasons, and often to
publicize a site or product that is available online. Many schools do not
have one single email address to answer all requests of this nature, and the
lists vary by site. For example, one site may have a list for queries
relating directly to the webserver, another for admissions information about
the school, and a third for alumni enquiries.
- I am working on a research project about Y, can you send me
information on it?
- Again, I maintain this list strictly as a resource for easily finding
colleges and universities around the world. I am not familiar with the
information at each and every site listed, and unfortunately do not have the
time to help everyone that asks find the information they are looking for.
This list is provided to help you find a starting point.
- I/My son/daughter is interested in studying Z. Can you send me
information on schools with programs in this field?
- Again, this list is merely there as a useful starting point and
sometime in the future I would like to be able to provide information about
areas of study at various schools, but right now what you see is what you
get. There are other listings that provide more information about areas of
study, size of schools, and tuition information and you may want to look
there to find a school, and then check back here to find the link to the
- Why are you maintaining this list and how did it start?
- When I was still working at MIT, the sudden popularity of the WWW
caused some controversy with regard to what type of 'front door' MIT wanted
to present to members of the MIT community and people just wandering the web
on its "official" homepage. I of course have my own opinions about what
makes a good home page, but in order to support the need for a professional
homepage I started making a list of homepages for other schools. There were
quite a few lists of US schools, but there was no single location for
universities all over the world, so I spent hours collecting new URLs and
this list has grown ever since. I am still maintaining this list partly
because of the challenge in trying to keep up with larger commercial sites
like Yahoo and Lycos that have more resources at their disposal for getting
new information. I also enjoy knowing that I am providing a unique resource
that gets approximately 10,000 accesses a day just at the MIT site so it is
definitely helping some people.
- Can I mirror this listing?
- Yes, feel free to mirror the listing locally, but please email me the
URL where the listing can be found at your site. Be sure to include an email
address I can send notification to every time the list is updated though. I
will include links to the mirror sites off of the univ.html page, but any
site that is not within two updates of the current listing will be removed
until they catch up.
- Will you add a link to my page, even though it is not a school
- No. I am trying to keep this listing as simple as possible since it is
a page of college and unversity links. As such there are no extraneous
graphics, and with the exception of the full listing, and the U listing most
pages are under 20K in size. This makes it easy for anyone to access
regardless of the web browser they are using.
- Can I pay you for advertising space on your pages?
- How much money are we talking about here???? :) Actually I'm pretty
happy with the current state of this list as is, and am not sure that I want
to add more commerical hype to the web. My MIT account won't be around
forever though, so it you are interested in sponsoring this list at another
site drop me a line and we can discuss the details.
Last modified: Sun Jul 14 15:24:23 1996